1. How much does the pond cost?Depending on the size, a small 4 x 6 pond starts at $4500.
2. What is the maintenance involved with a pond?The ponds Mystic build are based on creating an ecosystem for low-maintenance. The most maintenance involved is cleaning out a skimmer net of leaves and debris once a week, and adding enzymes to the water monthly. For clients who wish us to do this for them, we do provide a service program.
3. After a couple months I've noticed green moss on my rocks. Is this okay?Yes! All Mystic ponds are designed to become as their own ecosystem, and clear water with moss on the rocks is part of the ecosystem, and a sign that it is working and the pond is in balance. As long as the water is clear, the moss is a good thing.
4. Does the pond have a filter?All the Mystic ponds contain 2 filters- the waterfall unit is actually a biological filter, and the skimmer box in the pond is a mechanical filter.
5. If I have children, what is the safe alternative to a pond?A pondless waterfall is designed to not have any deep pools of water. It can also be turned off at any time, whereas a pond pump must run 24/7.
6. How much does it cost to run my water feature?The average cost to run a 3000 gph pump is about $20 a month (running 24/7). With larger water features, we use multiple pumps to vary flow rates and give the clients options of not having all the pumps on to save energy.
7. Can my pond have fish, and are they hard to care for?All the Mystic ponds are designed to have fish and turtles. However, the more fish someone wants, the larger and deeper the pond should be. With the ponds we design, we create caves for the fish to hide from predators such as herons and raccoons. Quite the opposite of what people usually think, the fish need little care and can even live without being fed very often once the ecosystem is established.
8. Is my pond safe for my dog or cat?All the ponds we design are based on a natural system. They are built to run without using dangerous chemicals that could be harmful to your pet. We have even designed features specifically for pets.
9. Is there a limit to how big you can make a feature?There's no limit to how big a water feature we can design! We have actually built a 4 acre pond in Moorpark.
10. What should I look for in a pond contractor?Look for someone who is licensed, insured, and certified. One of the most popular certification programs is Aquascapes, and Steve Sandalis, the owner of Mystic, was on the Aquascapes Advisory Board. He actually certifies other contractors, and serves as a mentor to up-and-coming pond builders.
11. Can I put plants in my pond?Plants are an integral part of the ecosystem. Plants eat the enzymes which would otherwise feed unwanted algae. The more plants in the pond, the less algae.
Serving Los Angeles, Calabasas, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Hidden Hills, Studio City, Chatsworth, Sherman Oaks, Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Porter Ranch, Brentwood-LA, Rancho Palos Verdes, Encino, Tarzana, Pasadena, La Cañada Flintridge, Alta Dena, San Marino, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Camarillo, Burbank, Culver City
Phone: 818-424-6836 Fax: 818-342-9825